6/29/2006

Microsoft Office 2007 Delayed Again

Categories: ,

I've been beta testing Office 2007 for awhile now, and I haven't been pleased. I'm sure most of you have seen how they've changed the whole user interface. It's not a bad idea, and we could definitely use some innovation from Microsoft, but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

So not surprisingly, Microsoft announced that Office 2007 will be delayed until... 2007 (who would've guessed?) They cited feedback from Beta 2 as one of the main reasons for the delay. Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that all that fancy eye candy slows down the computer? Isn't Office supposed to be geared towards businesses? If so, they should take a clue from the department that built Windows Server 2003. At least they had the good sense to disable the XP theme to cater towards a server/business environment. Instead we are treated to a bloated interface that tries too hard, and performs like crap. Should I go buy two nVidia GeForce 7800GTX's in SLI mode just to run office? Of course not. Microsoft needs to realize that most corporate machines out there are using crappy integrated graphics adapters, and that functionality is much more important than style, especially when it comes to productivity in the business world.

It's not just the performance of my computer that took a hit. I also had no clue where half of the stuff is. I've spent all these years learning where each function was located, just to have Microsoft rearrange it all and hide it behind an overdone UI. The ability to switch to the "classic" menus should be available, as they've done in the Vista betas.

Blah. I might be sticking with Office 2003 or switching to OpenOffice for good. That is, unless Microsoft's finished product cuts out all the bloat that's present in this beta.

1 Comments:

  • Your content isn't exactly up my alley but I noticed that you're from Spokane. That's awesome :) I went to Whitworth but now live in North Carolina.

    I have to say, though- Spokanistanians unite!!

    By Blogger Tam, at 12:10 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home